Top 5 Ingredients For Sensitive Skin
In this article we will shed some light on the complex world of skincare ingredients for sensitive skin.
With endless choices and a growing number of individual skincare ingredients sold, it can make shopping for skincare products a little confusing. To make it easier for yourself, we recommend identifying exactly what ingredients your skin needs based on your skin type. In this article we will shed some light on the complex world of skincare ingredients for sensitive skin. If you can understand how to factor these 5 ingredients into your daily skincare routine, then clearer, soothed, glowing skin is possible.
1. Hyaluronic Acid
As one of the most well-known skincare ingredients in the world, hyaluronic acid has an abundance of benefits. Hyaluronic Acid is a naturally occurring humectant that helps to increase moisture in the skin.
What is a humectant? A humectant is a moisturising agent known for its ability to draw water into the skin and retain that moisture, so your skin stays hydrated longer.
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is a skincare ingredient found naturally in our bodies. It has the incredible ability to hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water to keep our skin supple & hydrated. This ingredient promotes the skin’s natural barrier function and maintains cellular moisture to keep skin healthy, resulting in that dewy, glowy effect we all strive for. The best thing about HA is that it is suitable for all skin types, even including those with the most sensitive skin. As it's so kind on the skin, HA is safe to use every day to deliver gentle hydration.
What are the benefits of Hyaluronic Acid?
- Retains moisture - leading to soft, supple skin
- Can speed up wound healing - acne, eczema
- Prevent signs of ageing - reducing the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles
- Can treat redness and has antioxidant properties
Bio-Balancing Hyaluronic Sensitive Overnight Recovery Moisturiser
2. Niacinamide (B3)
Niacinamide is the ultimate multitasker when it comes to skincare ingredients. It is proven to fade hyperpigmentation, boost the hydration abilities of other ingredients and even help the skin to improve its natural production of skin-strengthening ceramides. Even better news, it is great for those who suffer from sensitive skin.
What are the benefits of Niacinamide?
- Packed with anti-flammatory properties, it helps to treat sensitive skin, acne & rosacea
- Helps with treating pigmentation, resulting in a bright complexion
- Helps to generate new skin cells and prompting the production of collagen
- Known for regulating oil production, therefore reducing acne and enlarged pores
Pro Sensitive Balancing Niacinamide Pore Tightening Toner
Acid-infused ingredients are great for exfoliating, resurfacing, clarifying and helping to achieve a dewy, glowing complexion that many of us crave. While most of us are clued up on AHAs and BHAs, PHAs are now cropping up more and more. PHA stands for Polyhydroxy Acids, which are different types of exfoliants. They work to exfoliate away dead skin cells, promote cell turnover, and reduce the appearance of skin damage. One of the best things about them are that they are one of the most gentle exfoliants out there, so for those with sensitive skin, we welcome polyhyrdoxy acids with open arms.
What are the benefits of PHA?
- They are extremely gentle on the skin as they have a larger molecule size
- Non-irritating, therefore should have little-to-no sting or irritation
- They are packed with anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
Sensitive PHA Pore Decongesting Cleansing Cream
SqualANE (derived mostly from plants such as olives and rice bran), not to be confused with SqualENE (naturally found in high concentrations in shark liver) is a superstar ingredient and here’s why. Described as one of the most moisturising ingredients out there, Squalane acts as an emollient, which ultimately means that it hydrates, improves skin’s softness and smoothness. It has an extremely low likelihood of causing irritation on the skin (we always recommend carrying out a 24h patch test if you haven’t tried an ingredient before), making it a great ingredient to pair with others, such as hyaluronic acid and niacinamide.
What are the benefits of Squalane?
- Softens the skin, by helping to support the skin natural outer barrier
- Helps to lock in moisture
- Regulate oil production as it mimics what our skin naturally produces
- Calms Inflammation, helping to treat redness and discomfort of the skin
Pro Refining Hyaluronic Antioxidising Sensitive Eye Cream
6. Chamomile Flower Extract
When looking for a sense of comfort, many of us turn to Chamomile tea to help soothe the soul. Just as Chamomile works to calm the mind, it also has similar effects on our skin. Known as an antioxidant, moisturiser and soother, sensitive skin can benefit the most by incorporating Chamomile Flower Extract into their skincare routines.
What are the benefits of Chamomile Flower Extract?
- Helps to alleviate redness, as it is packed with anti-inflammatory properties
- Soothes the skin by helping to block signals in the body known as prostaglandins, which are responsible for inflammation
- Can decrease the signs of ageing as it helps to promote cell production and regeneration
Our Full Sensitive Skincare Collection